This is an archived story; this page is not actively maintained. Some or all of the links within or related to this story may no longer work.
For the latest University of Minnesota news, visit Discover.
The UMAA makes a difference today
From M, spring 2004
The alumni association on the Twin Cities:
- helps organize and fund the 10,000-volunteer Legislative Network;
- pledged $1.5 million to scholarships and an on-campus football stadium;
- provides thousands of students with mentors each year;
- holds regent candidate public forums and suggesting continued refinements to the selection process;
- funds freshman leadership scholarships, outstanding student leadership awards, and the Distinguished Teaching Awards;
- offers professional programs and scholarships for students through college societies and welcoming new students and creating goodwill through chapters across the U.S. and in Asia, Europe, and Morocco;
- raises spirit and community through re-establishing traditions and through new programs like Maroon and Gold Fridays; and
- transforms campus by leading efforts to build the McNamara Alumni Center, Gateway Plaza, the planned Scholars' Walk, and other public spaces.