This is an archived story; this page is not actively maintained. Some or all of the links within or related to this story may no longer work.
For the latest University of Minnesota news, visit Discover.
The January-February 2004 issue of Minnesota was mailed to 250,000 and featured Nobel Peace Prize recipient Norman Borlaug (B.S. '37, M.S. '39, Ph.D. '42).
A year of milestones
From M, summer 2004
Throughout 2003-04, the alumni association marked its 100th anniversary in many ways. In addition to its regular service to the University, the UMAA carried off several signature events and initiatives.
- Harvey Mackay (B.A. '54) headlined the kickoff event on May 29, 2003. Mackay declined a speaker fee, so the alumni association donated $25,000 to scholarships in his name.
- A homecoming auction, held the Friday night before the football game, raised more than $27,000 for scholarships.
- The Birthday Party of the Century was held January 30, 2004, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the association's founding. About 1,500 attended a noon public event, while more than 400 invited guests attended an evening reception. While the party marked the anniversary, a series of donations and initiatives will leave a lasting legacy. (See related story.)
- The January-February 2004 issue of Minnesota, the members-only alumni association magazine, was distributed to 250,000 alumni. In addition, each issue through July-August 2004 is recounting moments in UMAA history, including a 1920s fight to defend academic freedom, the association's unique work keeping records of alumni serving in World War II, and the trips to the 1961 and 1962 Rose Bowls.
- Best-selling contemporary instrumental composer Yanni Chryssomallis (B.A. '76) was the keynote speaker at the May 6 grand finale. Yanni also received an honorary doctorate of humane letters at the event, which concluded the centennial year by looking to the future and celebrating great U students.
- An alumni directory with online and CD-ROM components was compiled and is being used as a basis for a new online career networking system, expected to be launched over the summer.